While most of us wait for the delivery or the stores to open for our new iPad, iFixit has started to rip it apart.
Oh goodness! It’s so beautiful! Even turned off, the 2048×1536 pixel “Retina Display” seems to radiate with colors one could not even begin to imagine. … As we lift the LCD, we hear the cries of 3,145,728 pixels being removed from their homes inside the iPad 3.
Here is what they found:
- Display connector is incompatible with the iPad 2 meaning you can’t by the display and swap it with your iPad 2 display.
- Samsung is manufacturing the displays.
- A5X can handle an extra 200MHz of speed.
- Logic Board:
- Texas Instruments CD3240 driver device
- Broadcom BCM4330 802.11a/b/g/n MAC/Baseband/Radio with Integrated Bluetooth 4.0+HS and FM Transceiver
- Two Elpida LP DDR2. Each package is 512 Mbyte for a total of 1 Gbyte
- Qualcomm PM8028 Power Management IC
- Toshiba ZX0730 1123KLD
- Qualcomm RTR8600 multi-band/mode RF transceiver for LTE bands (under the thermal pad)
- Broadcom BCM5973 I/O controller
- Also a upgraded 42.5 watt-battery.
Here is the youtube video of what they found
Tomorrow I will have some first impressions up along with probably an unboxing video for us! To see more of the insides visit iFixit